Software Updates for NOOK® Simple Touch and NOOK® Simple Touch GlowLight™ — Version 1.2.1
Barnes & Noble S.à r.l is providing a free software update for NOOK Simple Touch™ and NOOK® Simple Touch GlowLight™ devices that provides minor system enhancements. The software update will be automatically downloaded to devices that are registered and connected to Wi-Fi®, beginning 20th December and over the coming weeks. There's no need for you to take any action to receive the update. However, if you'd prefer to update your device immediately, the software update is also available via a manual download offered here, with further instructions below. To check the current software version of your NOOK, please click here to learn more.
Get Version 1.2.1 Today
To get the update manually, you can download the software update to your computer at any time and then copy it onto your NOOK Simple Touch or NOOK Simple Touch GlowLight. Simply follow the steps below.
Manual Download Instructions
- From your computer
- Click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
Tap Settings on your NOOK's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.
Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOK screen.
From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer has been completed.
Your NOOK will automatically recognise the file after a few minutes when it goes into sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
Once the installation has been completed, your NOOK will automatically restart.
The software has been successfully updated; tap on the small "n" that appears in the status bar for additional information.
Your NOOK must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, your NOOK will reboot itself back to the Home screen or the last screen you were on. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK and check to see that your software version is 1.2.1.
Congratulations, your NOOK has been updated! If you require additional support, please contact our Customer Service Center via chat or e-mail. We are available from 8am to 9pm, 7 days a week.
- What's new in Ver 1.2.1?
- The NOOK Simple Touch Ver 1.2.1 update provides minor system enhancements.
- How do I get Version 1.2.1?
- The ver 1.2.1 update is available starting from 20th December and over the coming weeks as an automatic download that will roll out to NOOK Simple Touch and NOOK Simple Touch GlowLight customers connected to Wi-Fi® (Wi-Fi should be turned ON and connected to a hotspot); or to get the software update right now, follow the instructions above for manual download.
The process will take 5-10 minutes for a manual download (depending on your Internet connection). You should NOT turn your NOOK off while the new software is being downloaded. Once the software update has been completed, your NOOK will automatically restart. The software update will preserve your personal settings, including your registered account information, content, display settings and Wi-Fi settings.
- Will I be prompted to start the automatic download over Wi-Fi?
- The software will be downloaded to your device in a rolling update over the coming weeks and will be automatically installed when the device is idle. Once the update has been installed, you'll see a small "n" on the status bar.
- How do I know I have received the update?
- To verify you have the latest version of the NOOK software, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK and check to see that your Software version is 1.2.1.
All trademarks or registered trademarks that are not the property of Barnes & Noble or its affiliates are the property of their respective owners.