Barnes & Noble is providing a free software update for NOOK® HD+ devices that provides important system enhancements. The software update will be automatically downloaded to devices that are registered and connected to Wi-Fi®, starting from 14 January and over the coming weeks. There's no need for you to take any action to receive the update. However, if you'd prefer to update your device immediately, the software update is also available via a manual download offered here, with further instructions below. To check the current software version of your NOOK®, please click here to learn more.
Get Version 2.2.1 Today
To get the update manually, you can download the software update to your computer at any time and then copy it onto your NOOK HD+. Simply follow the steps below.
Manual Download Instructions:
- From your computer
- 1. Click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location.
Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do NOT try to open the file.
2. Tap the Settings icon in the Status Bar at the top of your screen. Tap on All Settings, then tap Device Information and make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.
3a. For Windows users: Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your device. A new drive, called MyNOOK or BNTV600, should appear in My Computer. Open this drive and then open the Internal Storage folder within the drive.
From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the Internal Storage folder. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder within Internal Storage.
3b. For Mac Users: Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your device. A new, removable drive, named MyNOOK should appear on the desktop or in devices. Open the drive MyNOOK.
From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded file onto the top level of the MyNOOK drive. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the MyNOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder within the MyNOOK drive.
4. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete, then disconnect your NOOK from your computer.
5. Your NOOK will automatically recognise the file after a few minutes when it goes into sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
6. Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
7. Once the installation has been completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the unlock screen.
8. Tap on the small "n" NOOK symbol that appears in the Status bar for additional information. The software has been successfully updated.
Your NOOK must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software has been installed, your NOOK will automatically restart. To verify you have the latest update, tap the Settings icon in the Status bar at the top of your screen, tap on All Settings, then tap on Device Information, and check to see that your Software version number matches the number at the top of this page.
Congratulations, your NOOK has been updated! If you require additional support, please contact our Customer Service Center via chat or e-mail. We are available from 8am to 9pm, 7 days a week.
- What's new in Ver 2.2.1?
- The NOOK HD+ Ver 2.2.1 update contains an important security patch.
- How do I get Version 2.2.1?
- The ver 2.2.1 update is available over the coming weeks as an automatic download that will roll out to NOOK HD+ customers connected to Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi should be turned ON and connected to a hotspot, and the device should be left in sleep mode). Or to get the software update right now, make sure you are connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot, tap the Settings icon in the Status bar at the top of your screen, tap on All Settings, then tap on Device Information, and check to see that your Software version matches the number at the top of this page. If it does not, tap on Software version and then tap on the Check for updates button. Follow any on-screen instructions, Do not turn off your device while it is downloading or installing a software update.
You may also follow the instructions above for a manual download of the software update. The process will take about 15 minutes for a manual download (depending on your Internet connection). You should NOT turn your NOOK off while the new software is being downloaded.
Once the software update has been completed, your NOOK will automatically restart. The software update will preserve your personal settings, including your registered account information, content, display settings and Wi-Fi settings.
- Will I be prompted to start the automatic download over Wi-Fi?
- The software will be downloaded to your device in a rolling update over the coming weeks and will be automatically installed when the device is idle. Once the update has been installed, you'll see a small 'n' NOOK symbol on the Status bar.
- How do I know when I have received the update?
- To verify you have the latest version of the NOOK HD+ software, tap the Settings icon in the Status bar at the top of your screen. Tap on All Settings and then tap on Device Information; check to see that your Software version is 2.2.1.
All trademarks or registered trademarks that are not the property of Barnes & Noble or its affiliates are the property of their respective owners.