The spirit of a start-up still thrives at NOOK. Yes, we’re an established industry leader, but we come to work each day to tackle the next challenge, to contribute more than was possible yesterday, and to ask “why not?” We are inspired by the opportunity to influence habits and captivate our customers. And while it may sound corny, we really enjoy working as a team.
Santa Clara, CA
NOOK Media is an exciting global company whose mission is to change how people read and learn. NOOK Media is positioned to seize the incredible growth opportunity in the nascent digital content market. With its vast relationships with publishers, unique ability to reach readers and students and its award- winning devices, NOOK Media is well positioned to thrive as a leading digital content and technology company. It also has established partnerships with the leading technology company, Microsoft, and leading higher education publisher, Pearson.
About the Role:
We are looking for an exceptional engineer to join our front-end team to help build products powered by our technology platform. We have consumer facing products that extend from APIs, widgets, mobile and a lot more. You will be part of the small team that is responsible for building the best in class consumer facing products and evolution of our product. If you consider yourself a strong Front End Developer with an eye for design then you are the candidate I want!
- Strong command of web standards, CSS-based design, cross-browser compatibility with progressive enhancement
- You understand browser performance and how to prevent problems from arising and how to fix them if they do
- Practical knowledge of REST and working with APIs, developing APIs, etc.
- Implement new features and optimize existing ones
- Work closely with product managers, back-end engineers and operations
- Knowledgeable foundation in interaction design principles
- Ability to work through product ideas by fast prototyping and quick iterations
- PASSIONATE about realizing great design through code. You have opinions about the products you work on and aren't afraid to defend them / be criticized / be wrong. You know how to be confident and consultative at the same time
- Experience writing code that interacts with a large, complex back end and working with talented server engineers - you need to be able to at least read complex server side code if not write it well. You must have some experience working in a server side scripting language, it would be great if it was PHP since it’s our back-end language of choice
- Bridge the gap between design and technology, working with visual and interaction designers to implement and maintain pixel perfect user interfaces
- Code. Make browsers SUBMIT to your will. You know best practices cold and are on top of bleeding edge techniques. You've been around enough to be happy that you don’t have to support IE6
- Relish in the role of being a front-end specialist. We will look to you to solve hard problems and make our front-end more reliable, predictable, elegant and awesome
- Share. We have a highly agile environment and you will frequently be paired with generalists. We want you to share your expertise, making everyone else better and facilitating constant learning
- Take pride in the quality of your work, continuously deploying test-driven code, delighting customers and making a difference every day
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.