The spirit of a start-up still thrives at NOOK. Yes, we’re an established industry leader, but we come to work each day to tackle the next challenge, to contribute more than was possible yesterday, and to ask “why not?” We are inspired by the opportunity to influence habits and captivate our customers. And while it may sound corny, we really enjoy working as a team.
Santa Clara, CA
There's no more exciting place to build a career than on the leading edge of technological development and innovation at NOOK Media. Our mission is simple: We want to change how people read and learn. And we are leaders in that revolution. We have the unique ability to reach millions of devoted readers and students, and key relationships with content producers, including publishers. We have strong partners, including the technology giant, Samsung, and the renowned higher education publisher, Pearson. We also have our award-winning NOOK family of eReaders and tablets, including the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK, which combines Samsung’s leading technology with NOOK’s best-in-class reading experience, which have delighted millions of customers since their introduction in 2009.
NOOK Media offers the best of both worlds. We are part of the Barnes & Noble family but we have the unique culture and entrepreneurial spirit of a start-up. We have offices in New York City and Santa Clara, CA. With more than 400 employees globally, we have a strong position as a leading digital content and technology company.
We’re a group of UX professionals passionate about reinventing media consumption. We’re fundamentally about ideas and creativity and we measure our success by the ability to ship beautiful, useful designs. That and making an impact in people’s everyday lives. We love great typography, paper craft, pixel perfection and precisely architected systems. We believe good design is all about making it look great and work well. We also believe in ice cream, beer, bikes and a culture of fun. Work with us and you’ll be a part of something unique each and every day. You’ll work with product teams to ensure we’re doing what’s right for our customers. You’ll engage with the entire development team, from platform engineers and application developers to service developers in the Cloud. Best of all, your designs will directly impact every Nook user.
Are you ready to do something different? Something special? Something BIG? Great. Read on and send us your portfolio today!
- Lead the UI development from conception to execution
- Ensure a shared UX vision with key cross-functional teams, including product management, hardware, and technology teams
- Drive the process and prioritization from a strong user-focused perspective, working closely with the business owner, user research, software development, product and program management and QA teams
- Online portfolio of inspired, innovative designs
- Industry experience in mobile or consumer electronics and proven track record of creating user-focused solutions
- Experience with touch user interface, Android or iOS highly preferred
- Hands on experience creating customer flows, wireframes, information architecture and user interface
- Knowledge and appreciation of user research and visual design applied to the overall user experience and interface
- Knack for turning complex problems into simple and engaging customer experiences optimized for mobile and tablets
- A fine-tuned intuition for designs that define great products
- Ability to collaborate and work across multiple teams and disciplines
- Bachelors or Masters degree in HCI, Interaction Design, Product Design, or related degree
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.